Monday 27 December 2010

Talking Teenage - Hot Topics - Miss You.

It's such an exciting time of year. Everyone seems to be much friendlier and even strangers wish each other happy holidays. We exchange gifts and make hopeful new year's resolutions. Despite this, we hear about holiday sadness. The teens that we know and work with share their holiday longings and disappointments with us. 

We hear:

1. I miss my dad. I don't hear from him much since he got re-married.

2. I miss my mom since she got sick, travels so frequently, etc...

3. I miss my family and the way it used to be before the divorce.

4. I miss my older sister who is spending her junior year abroad.

5. I hope that my father remembers to call me. Sometimes he remembers me on holidays. Sometimes, he forgets about me completely.

6. I miss the house and neighborhood that we lived in last year.

7. I wish that the holidays would just end. My grandmother died right before the holidays last year.

Parents: While you are celebrating, we suggest that you don't forget to acknowledge what your teens may be feeling. Celebration and some longing and and sadness can co-exist. Your teens are not too young to learn that celebration and sadness are not mutually exclusive.

Validate and celebrate!