Friday, 26 November 2010

We Have, We Need Exchange - CrisisCommons Wiki

From CrisisCommons Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
2010 Haiti Earthquake
Main page



We Have, We Need Exchange

[edit] Overview:

This project will create a online marketplace for the exchange of resources and services to suit the needs of the NGOs in Haiti, providing Earthquake relief operations. The Google group for the project can be found at [1]

IMPORTANT. Below are simultaneous efforts that should be coordinated with this one (an email-thread was started to do just that)

[edit] Status:

  • Operational, but lots more to do!

[edit] TODO List:

  • Document API so we can begin connectivity & interface with Sahana,, and APAN.
  • Connect WVWN to h Sahana,, and APAN
  • Document install/development setup instructions so its easy for developers to jump in and help.
  • Setup Bugzilla server
  • Setup separate test server
  • Build a custom admin interface so we don't have to rely on the Django admin
  • Build a Twitter and SMS interface
  • Examine how we can turn it into a realtime application

[edit] Project History:

10:00am EST (Boston) - Mobile team starting Android client application

11:49am EST (DC) - Team is creating a full website and coordinating with mobile team to create apps for Android and Iphone. Team is gathering requirements, creating data-model, working on use cases, and drafting the user interface.

12:59pm EST (DC) - The team has built a portion of the API and continue to work on the data model and the user registration components. A build of the home page is almost complete.

2:30 pm EST (DC) - The team has validated our data model, the website style and layout has been been defined, user authentication process is in progress, still working on building the forms, RSS Feeds, and post interface. Discussions with the mobile team about operateability are underway.

3:45 pm EST (DC) - The team has completed defining the categories and sub-categories, RSS is implemented and ready for test, built out most of the pages will finish then clean up css.

4:45 pm EST (DC) - The team is creating the templates and has prepped some data to upload. We are looking for contacts in California.

3:13 pm PST (LA) - Team is getting up to speed on the last round of commits. We are waiting on write access to the git repository.

4:18 pm PST (LA) - The team has cloned the project, and put together a list of tasks to work on. We are looking for donations of highly scalable hosting solutions.

5:40 pm PST (LA) - The team has made a new github, and is adding tasks into the "Issues" section. We are looking for SV contacts to join this project.

5:58 pm PST (LA) - The team is getting kicked out of their space in LA. We hope to log in remotely and continue work, but invite the other CCHaiti groups to log into our github and continue work.

7:31 pm PST (LA) - Team LA is back on-line, and working remotely. Just got word that we can use Google App Engine for hosting. We're waiting on an absolute yes from the Brand Manager, but it looks like they will lift the normal resource limits for us!

1:23 am PST (LA) - The team finally decided to break for the night. Taxonomy is undergoing changes based on discussions with Tweak the Tweet, but has not yet been uploaded to the repository. All other code has been merged to scourger's github. (See link below.)

11:17 am PST (LA) - The LA and DC teams have agreed to meet at 6:30pm PST at to coordinate.

5:21 pm PST (LA)- The team implemented search by categories. Adjustments have been made to the CSS to incorporate a search bar, and to include branding for Earthquake Haiti: 2010

8:27 pm PST (LA) (DC) - The team decided to use Amazon Ec2 hosting, as it would play nice with all the tools being used, and there was a high familiarity level with it among the team members. A server was arranged and set up, DNS was pointed to There will be a guest user account created soon, as the registration functionality still needs work. We are looking for long term sponsorship.

9:00 ps EST (LA DC MT) - Held a status telecon. Attendees: Noel, Alan, Lori, Stefan, Natala Summary: - we are going to participate in crisis camp this weekend! The project will be to pull in data from Sahana and other orgs (i.e. that are collecting haves/needs. Alan will provide support to the team working on the project at the Camp. Natala is a backup. - Alan is going to set-up bugzilla on AWS, Natala will configure once installed -- we'll use this for project tracking and bug tracking - Stefan has some ideas for how to improve the marketplace data structure -- will send out diagrams and we'll discuss next week - Goal for next call is to discuss priorities for next steps and to then convert these priorities into a project plan we can work against with individual "tasks" that anyone (who has the skills required for the project) can tackle. Tasks will be both engineering tasks and non-eng tasks. - Natala will organize a "roll call" to get a sense of who still has time and what they'd like to do for the project. (per lori's suggestion!) - Before the call Natala and Alan discussed options for enabling text-to-list type scenarios with click-a-tell or twilio. This is an open/unassigned project. - There's a need to get more documentation on the project onto the webpage on crisiscommons -- Alan is going to tackle some of this but will probably need additional support. Jeremy (?) i think had previously mentioned working on this as well.,_We_Need_Exchange

Next Call: Weds Feb 17th - 9:00 PM EST / 6:00 PM PST Natala will send out conference call information -- we will use the crisis commons conference call, will get a direct # for montreal!

5:15 pm EST Feb 27 (DC) - We documented installation and run instructions and sent them to Alan Viars for posting to the github site with the download. We're working on documenting the API but haven't gotten far yet. If we get further we'll post more notes.

[edit] Project Volunteer List:

  • Jeremy Carbaugh
  • Ali Felski
  • Eric Miller, Sr Systems Admin / Programmer
  • Shawn Fenn, Program Analyst
  • Alan Viars, CEO Videntity, aviars AT the VIDENTITY DOTTY COM mobile 304.685.3137, twitter: @aviars
  • Lynette Hammond, Web Communications Specialist
  • Dustin Graves, Computer Scientist
  • Katie Jacobs Stanton, State Department - katie.stanton AT THE gmail DOTTY com
  • Natala Menezes natala007 AT the gmail DOTTY com
  • S. Jolicoeur s DOT jolicoeur AT The gmail DOTTY com

Programming Lead (LA): Pete Vander Giessen

Coordinator/Liaison (LA): Lucia Starkey

  • Josh Saxe
  • Mustafa Khafateh
  • Israel Lopez
  • Lori Barfield - tdirector AT the gmail dotty com

Programming Lead (DC): Alan Viars
Coordinator/Liaison (FL): Yanira Gonzalez (yaniragonzale-/-bellsouth -*- net)

  • Damian Montero (damian montero at the sign of gmail dotty com)
  • Edilma Riano
  • Maggie Ying Zhang
  • Tracy A.Phaup
  • Onajide Shabaka-
  • Elizabeth Warriner

[edit] Project Collaboration Space

The team is using github to share code and to document requirements.

The DC Team mobile iPhone application (Appcelerator Titanium platform) (DC iPhone TEAM PLEASE UPDATE THE STATUS HERE)

The Boston Team mobile Android application


Also in github you can find several pages in the wiki that will aid with development.

Describing Have's and Need's

User Roles with actions


Resource Taxonomy

User Help Documentation

[edit] User Testing and Feedback


[edit] Ethical Implications of this Tool