Mystery over death of girl, 16, at cannabis party
THE family of a teenage girl from North Yorkshire who died mysteriously after a party may never know what caused her death after an inquest heard how she most likely had an undetected heart condition.
A post-mortem revealed A-level student Camilla Irvine, 16, had an “unidentified compound” in her body - but it is not thought this was what killed her.
A doctor has now warned her brother to be tested for any possible heart defect after hearing on the balance of probabilities this was what killed his sister.
Camilla had been smoking cannabis at a pal’s bash in Scorton, near Richmond, before falling asleep at a friend’s house.
But when friends tried to wake her the next day they found she was unconscious. They called for an ambulance, but she was pronounced dead later in hospital.
An inquest at Northallerton Magistrates Court heard today that the post-mortem on Camilla, who dreamed of working in fashion, had found an “unidentified compound” in her urine.
But despite rigorous tests, experts were unable to identify it although they thought it “highly unlikely” that it was a party drug such as Mephedrone.
Coroner Michael Oakley recorded an open verdict.
Consultant forensic toxicologist Dr Simon Elliott revealed that they found an “unidentified compound” in Camilla’s urine, but despite testing for over 6000 different substances were unable to trace it.
He said: “Whatever it is, I’ve never seen it before. It’s unlikely it’s a new wave of a new type of drug because it would have been picked up in other areas of the country. It is truly an unidentified compound.
“We were aware their were legal highs available at the time, such as Mephedrone, but it wasn’t that and it wasn’t a new legal high because we would have known about it.
“However this compound was found in her urine sample, not in her blood, indicating it played no part in her death. It could have been naturally occurring in her body.”
Home Office pathologist Jennifer Hamilton said: “Her death is unascertained. This means we can never be certain exactly what caused her death.
“We don’t know what this substance is that was in her urine, but it’s far more likely it was a problem within her heart which developed when she slept.
“Unfortunately conditions such as this, where there is a problem with the electricity in her heart, usually remain undetected.”
Camilla’s parents Wendy and David wept as they heard the evidence. Dr Hamilton advised Camilla’s brother George who was also present to be tested for any possible heart defects.
Camilla’s friend Jennifer Brighton also appeared tearful as she revealed how Camilla had appeared “happy” at the house party on September 24 last year.
She said: “Camilla had slept on the sofa. We all woke up the next morning, tried to wake her up and she wouldn’t wake.”
Another friend, Jacob Attwood, was asked by the coroner if he had seen her take any drugs, other than the cannabis. He replied: “I swear on my life she hadn’t taken anything, I could just tell. She was happy. When we left the party she helped tidy up.
Camilla lived with her family on a farm in Newton-le-Willows, North Yorkshire. She was a former pupil of Ripon Grammar School and was less than a month into her A-Level studies at Richmond Grammar School.
In a previous statement her parents paid tribute to their daughter saying: “Milla was bubbly and vivacious girl who lived life to the full. She had a wide circle of friends, was caring about everyone she knew and was passionate about fashion.
“Milla’s loss will leave a massive hole in not only our lives but those of her many, many friends.”