Over 30,000 People Rally in New York City :November 17: Historic Day of Action for the 99%
Posted 7 hours ago on Nov. 18, 2011, 1:11 a.m. EST by OccupyWallSt
November 17 Day of Action:
- Over 30,000 People Rally in New York City (NYPD estimated 32,500), including organized contingents of workers, students, and other members of “the 99%”
- Actions in at least 30 cities across the country and around the world
- Commemoration of 2-Months Since Birth of the 99% Movement, Festival of Lights on Brooklyn Bridge
- Blockade of all Entry-Points to NYSE; hundreds participate in nonviolence civil disobedience
- Sense that a powerful and diverse civic movement for social justice is on the ascent
Tens of thousands took action Thursday, November 17 to demand that our political system serve all of us — not just the wealthy and powerful. The NYPD estimated tonight’s crowd at 32,500 people, at the culmination of the day of action. Thousands more also mobilized in at least 30 cities across the United States. Demonstrations were also held in cities around the world.
"Our political system should serve all of us — not just the very rich and powerful. Right now Wall Street owns Washington," said participant Beka Economopoulos. "We are the 99% and we are here to reclaim our democracy."